First to Communicate


Board of Directors

     The business and affairs of the Association are controlled and administered by and under the supervision of its Board of Directors, as established in its bylaws. The Bylaws provide for twenty-five (25) directors. Reasonable efforts are made to have different ranks and time periods represented on the Board of Directors and in the composition of officers of the Association. Directors are members of the Association and elected for a two-year term, as vacancies occur by expiration or other action. Directors may be reelected following their term of service, as mutually agreed to.  
     The Association’s officer positions are normally filled by its directors. There are currently 15 filled director positions on the 1st Signal Brigade Association's Board. Members now serving as directors include:  
 1   Glen Acre
 Dennis Byrnes - President and Sales Director  
 Eddie Fulwood  
 Joe Gleason - Membership Team member  
 Jim Gregory - Newspaper Editor  
 Stan Grieco  
 Howard Hickman  
 Dan Jett - Treasurer
 Peter Kind - Chairman  
10   Bob Motley - Webmaster  
11   Eric Randau - Secretary  
12   Wayne Rich - Photo Sizing and Annotation  
13   Gerry Seth  
 Doc Taranto
15   Bob Van Pelt - Membership Committee Chair
16   Bernie Wallace - Administrative Officer and Membership Cards

    The Board normally meets quarterly at 1100 hours EDT on a designated Saturday. Meetings may run from 2-3 hours and are conducted by means of Zoom conferencing.

    The Association welcomes interest by its members to serve on the Board of Directors. Service on the Association’s Board provides both a professional and rewarding experience. The Association’s successful continuing operation and future growth depends upon a cadre of dedicated members willing to serve as its directors and officers. Members interested in serving as a director should contact Bernie Wallace.

   Peter Kind – Chairman of the Board (one of the three founding Directors)  


LTG (Ret.) Peter Kind is a former Chief of Signal and was inducted as a Distinguished Member of the Signal Regiment in 1994. LTG Kind served with 97th Signal Battalion and 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) in Germany during his 33-year career. He also was Signal Adviser to 21st Infantry Division (Air Assault) and later Chief of Stock Control, US Army Depot Cam Ranh Bay in Vietnam; Assistant Division Signal Officer, 82d Airborne Division; and Executive Officer and S-2/S-3 (intelligence/ operations and training) for 82d Signal Battalion. He then served in the War Plans Division, Strategy, Plans and Policy Directorate, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations and Plans. LTG Kind commanded 1st Cavalry Division’s 13th Signal Battalion at Fort Hood, Texas; 1st Signal Brigade in Korea; the Signal Center and School at Fort Gordon, Ga, and the U.S. Army Information Systems Command. He also served as Deputy Controller of the NATO Integrated Communications System Central Operating Authority and as the U.S. Army Director for Information Systems for Command, Control, Communications and Computers.
In 1988, as Program Executive Officer for Command and Control Systems, he was instrumental in building credibility for the Army’s tactical command, control and communications arena. His achievements in protecting and strengthening C2 programs included fire support, intelligence and electronic warfare, air defense, maneuver control and combat services support; he integrated C2 systems for the Army and was recognized for this throughout the Defense Department and in Congress. At the time, because of poor understanding of C2 programs, LTG Kind on his own initiative made personal visits and delivered many keynote and banquet addresses to educate the Signal Corps and senior leadership in government and industry on these C2 programs’ importance to the total Army mission.
A key contributor in the Signal Corps Regimental Association and the Armed Forces Communications-Electronics Association, LTG Kind’s awards include the Distinguished Service Medal with one oak-leaf cluster, Legion of Merit with one oak-leaf cluster, Bronze Star Medal with two oak-leaf clusters, Meritorious Service Medal with two oak-leaf clusters and SCRA’s Silver Order of Mercury.
   Dennis Byrnes - President and Sales Director  
Dennis was drafted in 1966 and arrived at 69th Sig Bn, Tan Son Nhut, Vietnam Aug 1967. His responsibilities were R & R clerk, radio operator, rode shotgun for LTC Nims, and was the S-1 clerk. In May 1968 he was discharged as an E-5 and has fond memories and an overwhelming love for his country.
In May 1969 Dennis married "THE LOVE OF HIS LIFE". They have been married for 36 years... They have no children and live in Royersford, PA. Dennis worked for 3 companies in 37 years in the inventory field. He loves to travel and looks forward to retiring in 4 years.
   Monroe J. “Doc” Taranto
        Doc at Camp Gaylor in Vietnam in 1966                                                              Doc Today  
Doc’s first tour with the Brigade came in 1965 - 1966 as an Operations Officer in the 39th Signal Battalion covering Viet Nam’s III and IV Corps. The 39th moved to Vung Tau when it was replaced in Saigon by the 69th Signal Battalion under LTC Charlie Bob Myer. Doc worked for Colonel (P) Bob Terry during the 1st Signal Brigade organizational months. After an assignment at Monmouth and the AT&T Systems Engineering Course in New York, Doc returned to Viet Nam in 1968 with DCA-SEA and then the Joint Cutover Working Group (JCWIG) implementing the SEA- ATS with headquarters in Thailand. He then was Commander of CEEIA-Thailand from 1969 – 1971, part of the 29th Signal Group. Subsequent assignments included the ARCCO at Fort Ritchie, graduate school at the University of Colorado, CINCPAC J6, NATO’s NICSMA in Brussels and Commander of CEEIA/ISEC-CONUS (under the watchful eye of LTG Emmett Paige) at Fort Ritchie.
Industry called in 1986 when he joined CONTEL, then, in 1990, founded and managed Amstar Communications until his second retirement in 2000. Since then, Doc has been active as an IT consultant and strong AFCEA supporter.
   Howard Hickman  
            Howard in Phu Lam                                 Howard today  
Howard served 18 months at the Phu Lam Signal Facility, Saigon (1969-1971). He also served 8 months with the 72nd Signal Battalion in Karlsruhe, Germany. He held the rank of SGT E-5.
After his military service he had a career as a Police Officer. He served with the University of California Police Department, Berkeley, the St. Mary’s Collage of California, Moraga and, the El Cerrito Police Department. During this period, he held various assignments including Detective Sergeant, SWAT Sergeant, and Dignitary Protection Coordinator for High Profile visitors.
In 1995, he founded a group of Veterans who served at Phu Lam, Vietnam. The group has now grown to 1,400, with over 1,000 email addresses. He has gathered and maintains a collection of photographs, videos, stories, Personnel Lists and National Archive documents pertaining to Phu Lam. Some of the collection is posted on the Phu Lam web site:
He is a family researcher for his family and has posted his research on the web site:
Howard has a BA in Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley and a MPA in Administration of Justice from the Golden Gate University, San Francisco.
Howard has been married for 26 years and had two children currently attending U.C.L.A. and UC Berkeley.
    Dan Jett - Treasurer
                Dan in Vietnam                                            Dan today  
Dan Jett was discharged from the US Army in November 1969 as an E-5. He served in the Army from November 1966 to November 1969. After his service time, he received a BA degree in Business Administration in Accounting from Cal State Fullerton.
Dan has been practicing public accounting for the last 40 years. He has held various positions for CPA firms. He was co-founder of Barlow & Jett, CPAs. For the last 20 years, he has concentrated in tax related work, including tax preparation and tax compliance for individuals, trust, partnership and business returns. Dan has an expertise in trust administration and accounting.
Dan has serviced as treasurer and board member of a non-profit organization. Dan is a calligrapher and book artist. Dan currently services on the finance committee for his church. Dan and his wife Patricia have a son living in South Dakota. 

   Joseph M. Gleason - Membership Team member   
Attended grades K through 8 and graduated from St. Marks Grade School in June 1961. Attended St. Thomas Military Academy and graduated in June 1965.
I attended Mankato State College from September 1965 until March 1966. I did not do so well but had a great time. I got really good at playing cards.
I spent 3 years in the U.S. Army from August 1966 through August,1969. I went through Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training as a Personnel Records Specialist at Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. From August 1966 through January 1967. I served in Nha Trang, South Vietnam from February 1967 until February 1968. I spent the rest of my Army service at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.
I returned to College in September 1969. I graduated from Lakewood Community College with an Associate of Arts Degree in June 1971 and From Mankato State College in December 1972 with a B.S. Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance. I have taken some post grad classes in Finance.
I worked for the State of Minnesota for 35.5 years and retired in February 2009. I spent 5 years as a Bank Examiner with The Commerce Banking Division and 30.5 years with the Minnesota Department of Revenue. I spent 5 years in Collections and 25.5 years as a Revenue Auditor in Income Tax. I retired in February 2009 and have had no regrets. They brought on a new major computer system which was a great incentive for me to leave when I did.
I have been married to my wife, Mary for 37 + years and we have 2 adopted children. Our daughter, Meghan, is 28 years old, married and is living in Southern California. Her husband, Ayman, is a neurosurgeon. They have a 2-year-old daughter named Aya. Our son, John, now 22, is in the Army National Guard and is a Helicopter Fuel Specialist. He does lawn work and snow plowing on the side. He hopes to get into Law Enforcement in the future.
Mary worked for Qwest Communications and previous Companies for 36 years and we are both enjoying retirement very much. We traveled to Australia and New Zealand shortly after my retirement and we are looking forward to more travel in the future. 
   Eddie Fulwood  
                   Eddie in Vietnam                                                                 Eddie Today  
Eddie arrived in Viet Nam, May 1968, and was assigned to the 1st Signal Brigade, HQ Co., 52nd Signal Battalion in Can Tho. His MOS was 31L, Radio Relay and Carrier Repairman. During his tour, he worked on new equipment involved in the cutover from Line of Sight to Microwave and PCM communications. Eddie was honorably discharged from the Army in May 1969.
Eddie’s military career also included an enlistment in The District of Columbia Army National Guard in 1987. He was assigned to the 547th LMT Transportation Company. This unit was activated and deployed to the Persian Gulf during The Desert Storm Conflict. He served as the Truckmaster in this unit. Also, while in the DCANG, Eddie attended IMD and taught the following courses at DCMA; PLDC, BNOC, ANOC, WMD’s and The Air Land Battle Doctrine.
Eddie is a graduate of Strayer University, Washington, DC, with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. He was employed by The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit System (Metro) for 34 years. He retired in 2003 as Operations Superintendent of The Landover Division.

   Glen Acre
         Glen in Vietnam                                  Glen with wife and grandchildren today  
Glen was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Signal Corps in the charter R.O.T.C. class at the University of Central Arkansas in Aug of 1970.
Brigade duty was with the 40th Signal Battalion (Construction) with both B Company in Cam Ranh Bay and C Company in Long Binh from late 1971 to late 1972. In his last few weeks in RVN he was assigned to HHC, 535th Signal Battalion. All of his RVN time was as a Platoon Leader/ Co XO with the line units and included six weeks with the Republic of Korea 100th Division in II Corps area out of Nha Trang.
After leaving active-duty Glen had various assignments in the Army Reserve to include serving as the DOIM/Signal Detachment Commander at Ft. Chaffee, AR, on the General Staff as the DCSPER (Personnel) for the 90th Regional Support Command and culminating the Commander of the 4003d Garrison Support Unit at FT. Hood, Texas. Glen retired as a Colonel in Sept 2000.
Glen had several different positions in public education in central Arkansas, to include working with adults in vocational education supporting business and industry. Glen completed his civilian career as a Secondary Guidance Counselor with Little Rock School District retiring in 2010.
Glen’s wife Nancy is a retired school administrator, and they have one daughter and three grandchildren. They actively work and manage a 380-acre beef cattle operation in Greenbrier, Arkansas.

   Bob Van Pelt - Membership Committee Chair  
              Bob in Vietnam                          Bob Today  

Bob grew up in Brooklyn, NY.  After graduating in 1967 from high school, he went to work for Con Edison as a production technician in NYC.  He was drafted into the U.S. Army in March 1969 and, once at Basic Training, he enlisted for an additional year and was able to select his MOS of 32D, Fixed Station Technical Controller.  While on Active Duty, Bob served at Phu Lam, Republic of Vietnam with the 1st Signal Brigade and later in Coltano, Italy.  After his discharge, Bob returned to work at Con Ed. In October 1974, he decided to enlist in the New York National Guard and stayed in the Reserve component as a traditional Guardsman / Reservist and was selected as a Command Sergeant Major in October 1991. After serving as the CSM of 2 battalion and 2 brigade sized units, he was selected as the CSM, 42nd Infantry Division (RAINBOW) in 1998.  Bob was offered the fulltime position as the State Command Sergeant Major of the New York National Guard in June 2001, 3 months before 9-11, where he served for 10 years until his retirement in June 2011.  His overall military career spanned 42+ years.

In his civilian career, Bob worked in the power production industry for more than 35 years. He worked for Con Edison until 1978 when he accepted a position with the Tennessee Valley Authority and, in 1981, he ventured out as an independent contract technician, foreman and field engineer working at many of the nuclear facilities in the Eastern U.S. until accepting his fulltime position as State CSM in 2001.  Upon his retirement in 2011 he decided not to return to power production and accepted a position as the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) Program Manager with the NY National Guard where he established the NYNG Employment Initiatives Program and, in 2013, became 1 of 2 Transition Assistance Advisors for the NY Guard. Bob served in this position until June 2017 when he retired.  He now spends his time doing volunteer work with many Military and Veteran organizations.

Bob is a 1991 graduate of the U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy and completed his Bachelor of Science Degree in 1992 at New York State Regents College, the precursor to Excelsior College. His many military awards include the Legion of Merit.

Bob and his wife, Debbie married after his return from Vietnam in 1971 and currently live in Malta, NY.  They have two daughters and 3 grandchildren.  His older daughter serves as a CW3 With the NY National Army Guard and her husband is a retired Sergeant Major.  His younger daughter is married to a CW4 helicopter pilot on Active Duty in the U.S. Army.

   Bernie Wallace - Administrative Officer and Membership Cards
         Bernie in Vietnam                               Bernie Today  
In June 1968, I was drafted and sent to Ft. Bragg, N.C for Basic Training. While at Fort Bragg I enlisted in the Regular Army. Upon completion of Basic, I was sent to Signal School at Ft. Gordon, GA, for training as a Teletype Operator, MOS 72B. After completing AIT in November, I departed for Vietnam in December 1968. In Vietnam, I was assigned to 2nd COMSEC Logistics Support Unit (CLSU) at Can Tho in the Mekong Delta. Our mission was to provide Crypto support to Army units in Vietnam’s IV Corps. My duties were varied. I filled in as Unit Clerk because I could type, but my main duty was to assist the COMSEC Warrant Officer. While in Vietnam, I was promoted to SGT/E5. I returned from Vietnam in December 1969 and was assigned to Ft. Bragg. When I arrived at Ft. Bragg in January 1970, I was assigned to the 206th Signal Company. The Company was so understrength that little activity took place. While with the 206th, I attended the Ft. Bragg Chemical, Biological and Radiological school. Later, I attended the 3rd Army NCO Academy at Ft. McClellan, AL. I finished the Academy in May of 1970 and was promoted to SSG/E6. The 206th was deactivated on June 30, 1970 and I was transferred to Headquarters & Headquarters Company of the 50th Signal Battalion (ABN), XVIII Airborne Corps. There I was assigned to the Battalion Crypto Facility. Since I was the senior NCO, my main duty was to oversee the operations of the facility when the COMSEC Warrant Officer was absent. I was discharged from active duty in June 1971.

After my discharge, I returned to my home in Baltimore. Unfortunately, while in the Army, my job was eliminated. In 1972, I enrolled in a school for computer technology. After finishing school in December 1972, I started working at an insurance company. I left that company for a better job about three months later. In April 1973, I started as a programmer at a company that provided pension design and management to various types of businesses. In July 1975, I began working for the local utility company and was employed there until August 1994. My wife had retired from the company in February of that year, and we were fortunate enough that I was able to quit working also. Since giving up work, my wife and I have traveled extensively and volunteer at several Senior Centers and community groups. Because we travel quite a bit, I have taken a number of photographs. I also play around with the computer and target shoot occasionally.

   Stanley Grieco
           Stan in Vietnam                   Stan Today  
 I joined the Army right after High School as a Warrant Officer Candidate. I took my basic at Fort Polk in Louisiana. After completion of basic I was off to Pre-flight at Fort Walters in Texas. My academic grades were superior and low demerits but wasn’t coordinated enough to fly a helicopter and never soloed. When I went before the elimination board I was offered Officer Candidate School. But I had my heart set on flying, so I turned it down and waited to be reassigned. My orders had me reassigned to Fort Gordon in Georgia were I was to become a 72B20 Com-center Specialist. After completion of AIT, I received orders for Vietnam.

Once in country I was assigned to Phu Lam Signal Battalion where I found myself in the Service Section of the Com-center, sending service messages back to the originator of garbled messages. While in Phu Lam it was a time of major expanding into data and the building of an audodin building. We were the major relay for all of Southeast Asia and a big influx of personnel had to accommodate the compound. There was an overcrowding which eventfully was solved with the building of two-story barracks. But in the meantime some of us were lucky enough to be billet in a BEQ in Cholon, Vietnam called the Kingsport Hotel. Well, we thought we were lucky, but then came the Tet Offensive. The racetrack in Cholon was the headquarters of the VC during the Offensive. As fate would have it I survived Tet and the Second Offensive in May to return back to the states and an early discharge from Oakland Army Base in June of ’68.

Five days after I returned home, I married my High School sweetheart, Anita Arena.  In ’69 we had our first child, a beautiful little girl named Tina Marie. At the same time landing a job in a PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Plant in Delaware City, Delaware for five years. We bought a home in Newark, Delaware in that time span and our second child was born, Stanley Charles Jr. The job was the swing shift variety, which meant a crazy schedule that consisted of many sacrifices to the family. So, I started applying for jobs in the post office. On March 31, 1973, I was accepted in the Postal Service and had an illustrious carrier for 32 years and loved it! I failed to mention our third child another beautiful little girl, Lisa Louise was born in ’75. The time span from ’74 to ’78 I used my GI Bill and acquired an associate degree. While working for the Postal Service as a City Letter Carrier I became a member of the New Jersey National Guard. After attending numerous weekend drill and summer camps, I attended the NCO Academy in Seagirt, New Jersey, graduating at the end of the course as a Sergeant. After a period of night school, Guards and working, things settled down and we could live normal lives, coaching midget football, little league baseball and helping with cheerleading in different capacities. Children are grown now, one in New Mexico, one in California, fortunately the last is in South Jersey and both Anita and I retired from the Postal Service enabling us to travel, which we love!
   Bob Motley - Webmaster  
      Bob in Saigon (22nd Birthday) Bob with his family today       
 I attended Holy Cross College for 2 years after high school and then dropped out and started working for AT&T. After a draft physical and a talk with a recruiter, I enlisted in Feb. ’68, and set off for Basic Training at Fort Jackson, SC. That was followed by a 6 month Fixed Cryptographic Equipment Repair course at Fort Monmouth, NJ. At the end of the class, I received orders to Okinawa, but was offered a job as a crypto instructor and was able to remain at Monmouth for another 6 months.

In June of 1969, I was on my way to Da Nang; once in Vietnam, my posting changed to Phu Lam. I started in the ADMS switching station until it closed later that year. I worked for a few months as a company clerk while awaiting my top-secret clearance, which I needed to move over to the Autodin building. I finally got over there and remained there for the rest of my tour. I extended for 3 months so that I would return stateside with less than 150 days and would get an early discharge.

I went back to work for AT&T for a year, and then quit to go back to school. I got my BS in Math from Brooklyn Polytechnic (now the NYU School of Engineering) and promptly returned to AT&T, where I worked many aspects of IT, from mainframe programming to desktop support.

After divestitures and mergers, I retired from Alcatel-Lucent in 2010, when all of IT was outsourced to Hewlett Packard. I worked for HP supporting Alcatel-Lucent for a couple of years and retired for good in 2012.

During those years, I met and married Angela in 1980. Our first son, Chris, was born in 1983, and then Michael came along in 1986. Chris joined me on the 1SBA trip to Vietnam in 2013 and got along well with everyone on the trip. He got married in July of 2017, and he and Jen had our first grandchild, Sarah Joy, in May 2018, and our newest granddaughter, Rita Jane, in March 2020. We’re very much enjoying this next phase of our lives. Mike and Liz got married in June of 2022. We’re so happy to have both Jen and Liz in our family, along with our granddaughters.

I’ve been attending our Phu Lam reunions since 2001 and have enjoyed renewing friendships with people that I served with during my time in Phu Lam, and making new friends that I’ve met through those reunions, and now through the 1SBA reunions. I’m looking forward to making more new friends at future reunions.
      Eric Randau - Secretary  
                         Eric in Vietnam                                           Eric Today  
Me, 1969 Dong Tam, working on something. I don’t really recall but it must have been part of the REL 2600 radios - The mux gear was hermetically sealed. (I’ve put on a bit of weight since then!)

 I arrived in country November ’68 went through LLS Battalion HQ at Vung Tau, then through C Co HQ at Can Tho and finally to the Detachment at Dong Tam.

Along the way LLS changed to 369 Signal Bn and our CO HQ changed to A Co at Tan Son Nhut.  I earned a 32D MOS at a 3-week course at Long Binh.

I spent most of my tour at Dong Tam ducking mortars.

I left Dong Tam in November ’69 and returned to teach my MOS, 26V20 at Ft. Monmouth finally exiting the Army in November ’70.

 After the Army, I earned an FCC First Class Radio Telephone License then worked for Lenkurt Electric, and AT&T Long Lines in Florida.  In 1973, I returned to my Birthplace in Michigan, taught electronics and FCC licensing at a vocational school, then worked for AC Division of GM. I earned an A.S. in applied Science from a community college then went on to earn a B.S. in Computer Science from the University of Michigan.

I moved to Arizona in late 1980 to work for Motorola in various capacities including: software engineer, technical marketing support, engineering support in a wafer Fab, and finally in the Government Electronics group which was later sold to General Dynamics.  I retired from GD and “retiree” is my current vocation

 I’ve been married to my second wife since January 1989.

We have one son and one grandson. I enjoy my Corvette Convertible, photography and spending time with family.

After retiring, we were able to leave the heat of Phoenix and moved to the mountains in 2003. We currently live at 5150’ in Payson, AZ.

      Jim Gregory - Newspaper Editor  

    Sgt Gregory at HQ Danang Vietnam                      Jim Today


I got drafted in 1969 and was sent to Fort Leonard Wood, Fort Bragg, Fort Gordon and Fort Lee. My 1970 orders were Vietnam where my first duty station was Camp Eagle in I Corps with the 101st air assault, which was beginning to stand down. Since Camp Eagle was being deactivated, I was helicoptered down to Da Nang to the 12th Signal Group, 37th Signal Battalion, S-4 where I spent the rest of my tour. They must have been desperate for supply sergeants because I was promoted to Sgt E-5, within about a year of joining the Army. Except for the rockets and mortars, I enjoyed my time with the 37th Signal.

Back stateside I was asked if I could type, so I lied and said sure. That led to my ultimate civilian career in public relations. I was sent to Fort Benning in the Public Affairs department, where I learned PR from the experts handling the Mai Lai courts martial and I edited the Fort Benning Bayonet. Back home in Kansas I finished college on the GI Bill and started doing PR and politics for a number of private jet manufacturers. I ended up flying to many great places in the Americas, Asia and Europe before semi-retiring 20 years ago. I’ve met and worked with the famous and infamous, including a handful of U.S. presidents.

Along the way I married the love of my life, had three terrific kids and a couple grandkids and still do aviation PR consulting on the side. My wife Melissa and I are living the retired life in a Kansas suburb of Kansas City.

   Wayne Rich  
         Wayne in Vietnam                       Wayne Today  

I was born in Buffalo, NY, on 12 Feb 1951 and drafted after graduating from High School in July 1969.

I took basic training at Ft Dix, NJ then AIT at Ft Gordon, GA.

I arrived in Vietnam (VN) at Cam Rahn Bay April 1970 as a PFC with orders for Da Lat, VN. My orders were changed, and I was sent to Can Tho for further assignment. I was assigned to the 1st Sig Bde, 2nd, Sig Gp, 52nd Sig Bn, Co “D”, Soc Trang. Approximately 3 months later I was reassigned to Co “A”, Bac Lieu in support of the 21st ARVN Inf Div, specifically MACV Teams 20 & 51.

Returning from VN 17 April 1971 as a SP4, I was assigned to Ft Lee, VA where I reenlisted for Special Forces Qualification Training, after which I was assigned to the National Security Agency, Ft George G. Meade, MD.

In 1973 as a SGT, I was assigned to the Republic of Korea (ROK) with Weapons Support Detachment-Korea Camp Page, Chun Chon from 1973 -1978 where I would meet my future wife and be married for 45 years.

Returning to the USA as a SSG, I was assigned to a special unit located at Ft Huachuca, AZ from where I traveled with the Chief of Staff of the Army on overseas missions. I was promoted to Warrant Officer 1 at this assignment.

In 1981 my wife and I were back in Korea, this time at US Army Garrison Yongsan’s 1st Sig Bde, 41st Sig Bn, 362nd Sig Co where I was the Officer-in-Charge of the Special Intelligence Command Post Seoul complex. I was the direct liaison with the Korean Ministry of National Defense, its service HQs, the KCIA and the Blue House. Our daughter was born on 26 Mar 1981.

Returning from Korea as a Chief Warrant Officer 2 in 1983 I was again assigned to a Special Program Office, this time at Arlington Hall Station, VA and ultimately to the Joint Special Operations Command, Ft Bragg where I retired from active duty in 1990 after participating as part of the ground force in the US invasion of Panama, 19 Dec 1989. Our son was born on 17 Aug 1984.

Upon retirement from active duty my family and I relocated to Tampa, Fl to start a second career at US Special Operations Command HQ, J3X-SR and Special Operations Command Central’s Joint Unconventional Warfare Task Force until 2015 when I quit work to become the care giver for my wife. She passed away on 26 Jun 2018.

In retirement I have tried to remain busy as a Veterans Affairs (VA) volunteer working at Florida National Cemetery (FNC) at Bushnell, FL and as a member of the Joint Veterans Support Committee whose charter is to raise money to erect monuments at FNC honoring our veterans resting there. I am also a former President of Special Forces Association, Chapter LX, Tampa, FL and its current President Emeritus.

   Gerry Seth  
         Gerry Today  

Gerry was born in 1950.  His dad worked in Aerospace Production which resulted in many moves (23) and several schools attended (11).  He has been in all but 3 of the United States.  He avoided the draft by enlisting in the Army (three years) with a chance for schooling in Supply and ended up with a second school for Signal Repair Parts.  After six months in the Army, he was sent to Vietnam to be part of CSEMA, HHC, 1st Signal Brigade, where he drove a forklift for a year and a half.  He finished his Army time, as a colonel’s driver at Ft Ord, CA.

Shortly after getting out of the Army, he met his wife and three years later went back to school.  He graduated from California State University, Long Beach with a BS in Finance and then got a job with Rockwell International in accounts payable for the Space Shuttle Program.  He then went back to school and received an MBA.  He transferred to the B1 program for several years and then back to the Shuttle Program.  Rockwell was bought by Boeing which then merged with McDonnel Douglas in the 1990’s.  After several positions in companywide overhead budgets, he retired after 39 years.  During his career, he received the prestigious “Snoopy Award” which is given by the Astronauts on recommendation of management.

He and his wife had two daughters.  The oldest is married and has four children with whom he spends a lot of his spare time.  He is a Deacon at his church, and he mentors teenagers at the hybrid tutorial at church.  He is involved with Vietnam Veterans of America local chapter 1140 in Franklin TN where he resides.  He enjoys a weekly breakfast meet up with Vietnam Veterans as well as the weekly lunch gathering with veterans of all ages at Costco.


1st Signal Brigade Association